I’m teasing you guys with a classic summer favorite that you can enjoy right now, even if you’re in the middle of a major winter storm and summer seems like ages away. Winter has officially overstayed its welcome here in Maryland and summer can not come any sooner. Best part though, summer is not the only season to enjoy beautiful fresh salads, including this mozzarella, tomato, and basil combo. It’s a classic caprese salad with balsamic reduction that you can make any time, whether it’s cold or hot outside your window.
- 4-5 hothouse tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 (16 oz.) logs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- generous bunch of fresh basil leaves
- extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- In a small casserole dish (I used 8X11X3) arrange slices of tomatos, mozzarella, and basil vertically, in an alternating patten until you have created two rows.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, followed by drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook 20-30 minutes, partially covered, until balsamic vinegar has reduced to a thicker glaze.
- Cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before use