This past week we had 80 degree temperatures followed up with a hard freeze! When I went to work one day it was summer and when I left work it was winter. I think I have whiplash!
With the return of cool (okay cold) weather, my thoughts of food head straight to warming comfort foods, you know things that warm you from the inside out.
Lately, my kitchen time has been limited due to a cabinet refinishing project (you’ve might have noticed I’ve missed a few weeks..sorry, I am feeling guilty), I needed to get a little more creative with meal preparation. To help me, I turned to my crock-pot. This is one helpful appliance and I should rely on mine more than I do.
This weekend, I purchased cube steaks at the grocery to make this quick and easy recipe (never mind that I had to explain to the fellow behind the meat counter that cube steak was not hamburger steak).
The end result doesn’t look stellar on the plate, but you’ll quickly forget about the lack of beauty attributes and photogenic qualities once you dig into a gravy slathered bite. Of course you have to have mashed potatoes to accompany it to take advantage of the wonderful gravy! Seconds please!
- 6 cube steaks
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1/2 soup can of water
- salt and pepper
- Peel, slice and separate the rings of one medium sized onion.
- Salt and pepper each cube steak.
- Place 2 cube steaks in the bottom of your crock-pot.
- Top with onions and repeat. Separating each addition of meat with onions. This will help separate them later and avoid them being one melded mass of cube steak.In a separate bowl, add the cream of soups and water and mix it up. Pour the soup mixture over the meat..
- Sprinkle the onion soup mix on top, put the lid on the crock-pot and turn it on low.
- Soon your kitchen will start to smell delicious and 6-7 hours later you will have a dinner! Add a side of mashed potatoes to help enjoy the gravy an a salad or green veggie and you are ready to eat.