- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice (for creamier pudding use short or medium grain rice)
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine the cooked rice, with 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm.