The lemon bars of your dreams take just 15 minutes of prep: Stir together a mere three ingredients to create a sunny, puckery filling for a buttery shortbread crust. Source: Everyday Food, June 2008.okay, so i was inspired by miss martha stewart after watching one of her episodes of martha bakes, featuring citrus baked goodies. you see we are in the winter season and winter is known for its abundance of citrus fruits. we have a small lemon tree growing out back in our garden and it’s bursting with lots and lots of lemons! i’ve never seen this many lemons on our tree before, it’s incredible. i mean… i’m so excited because the endless possibility of anything lemon is amazing. of course, i just need to muster enough energy to bake or create delicious yummy looking and tasting things. we’ll see where that takes me. but for now, yes… i’ve made these perfect little lemony and creamy squares. they are perfectly sweet and creamy with the condense milk, but yet at the same time the tartness in the lemons come through. it is just amazing. it’s like a nice burst of goodness in your mouth.
- FOR THE CRUST
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
- 1-1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C degrees.
- Brush a square baking dish with melted butter.
- Crush graham crackers
- Then add in sugar and butter and blend to mix.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Cool crust, 30 minutes.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING
- *In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk.
- *Add lemon juice; whisk until smooth.
- *Pour filling into cooled crust; carefully spread to edges.
- *Bake until set, about 15 minutes.
- *Cool in pan on rack.
- *Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.