- 18-ounce box white cake mix + ingredients called for in package directions or you can bake your favorite white cake from scratch if you prefer
- 15-ounce can cream of coconut (like coco lopez).
- Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8-ounce package unsweetened coconut flakes
- Prepare the white cake mix according to package directions, bake in a 9-inch-by-13-inch pan according to directions on box.
- After the cake has baked but still hot (VERY important to do while still hot), use the handle of a wooden spoon or a straw to poke holes all over the top
- of it. (the more holes the better). Heat the cream of coconut in microwave for about 1-2 minutes to thin it out some and pour over the cake while it is still hot. Spread it evenly all over the top so it will soak in and cover all the holes. Cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours but best if it sits overnight in the fridge. Frost with the whipped cream and then top with the shredded coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.