This recipe for Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares takes an old time favorite to a whole new level. Rice Krispie squares with peanut butter, a gooey caramel layer, then topped with chocolate!
My inspiration for this recipe came from a recipe from Hugs & Cookies blog who makes a ton of crazy delicious sweets. I made Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares in a 9×9 pan but simply double the recipe for a 9×13 pan. They will fly off the plate fast!
As a kid there were two homemade treats my brothers and sisters and I loved – Rice Krispie Squares and Puffed Wheat Squares! Both are easy to prepare, don’t cost a lot to make, and kids devour them!
My family may never eat plain Rice Krispie Squares again, these are incredible!
- 1½ tbsp. butter
- ½ bag marshmallows (about 20 large-2 cups mini)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 7 ounces unwrapped caramels (1/2 bag)
- 1 tbsp. water
- ¾ cup peanut butter (divided use)
- 8 ounces milk chocolate
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch pan.In large bowl melt butter in microwave just until melted. Add marshmallows, stir to coat marshmallows in butter, then microwave until melted, stirring occasionally. This should only take a couple of minutes.Stir in vanilla.Stir in Rice Krispies.Pour into buttered pan and press mixture firmly with buttered hands.Place in refrigerator to chill.In saucepan, melt caramels and water on low heat, stirring frequently. (careful not to burn).Remove from heat, stir in ½ cup peanut butter. Blend completely.Pour over Rice Krispies, and spread to an even layer.Put back into refrigerator.In saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate.When melted, stir in ¼ cup peanut butter. Combine well.Pour chocolate over caramel layer spreading to edges in even layer.Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate is firm.Cut into squares.