Thinly sliced potatoes and onion are layered in a creamy cheese sauce creating … potatoes all through dinner, my husband said they’re the best he’s ever had!
- 4cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3tablespoons butter
- 3tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2cups milk
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1dash cayenne pepper
- 1cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.